A couple of weekends ago, Diana invited me to her house to try a bit of eco-dyeing on paper. She’s recently become very keen on it, and I’d popped over one other day to look at and be impressed by her results.
All I had to take with me was the paper, as Diana had collected and experimented with many kinds of plant matter. I took Strathmore Aquarius watercolour paper and some mixed media paper from Melbourne Etching supplies.
We made little parcels of our paper and plant matter and boiled them up. You are supposed to leave them to steep in the water overnight, but we couldn’t wait.
When I tell you about the results, you have to realise that the scans are not accurate. I’ll explain. The backing paper is a very deep cream, almost yellowish. In the top and bottom image, the greetings cards are cream, while in the middle one they are white. Fiddled in Photoshop but can’t get it accurate.
It is amazing the difference the paper makes to the results. Diana was using Arches 300gsm paper and that was by far the most colourful. The Strathmore was less colourful, but with distinct patterns transferred nevertheless. That paper is the one that doesn’t buckle when wet, so I’m assuming there is a different process when it is made. The Strathmore cards are the first and last images.
The centre image, on the white cards, is the mixed media paper. They are actually quite a bit paler than it shows in the scan. I wouldn’t use it again for this process as other papers have so much better results.
And the last image shows my new little rubber stamp that I got from Jemac Rubber Stamps to complete my greetings cards. Very reasonable, ordered Monday, arrived in the post friday and gives the cards a more professional finish.